Sunday, October 23, 2005

Ex-FEMA Director Michael Brown ~ A Lying, Incompetent DUMBASS

"Okay, so I AM a lying, unqualified DUMBASS!"
Despite the inequity of blame following Katrina, it has to be said that disgraced former FEMA Director Michael Brown has turned out to be well-deserved of his national bashing.

Let me just preface this with the fact that both N.O. Mayor Nagin and LA Governor Blanco (our "DUMBASS of the Month" for September, by the way) are also MAJOR DUMBASSES who seem to have somehow ducked national anger. But this week is not about them.

Marty Bahamonde, a FEMA regional director and the ONLY FEMA AGENT to ride out the storm on location in New Orleans, told a Senate panel that is investigating the federal response to the disaster that he gave regular updates to people who were in contact with Michael Brown as early as Aug. 28, one day before Katrina made landfall. In turn, they turned a deaf ear.

This is in direct contradiction to Brown's testimony before the House Homeland Security Committee, during which he stated that he was "not fully aware of the dire conditions" until days later!

In e-mails to various FEMA officials, (one of which went to Brown), Bahamonde described a chaotic situation at the Superdome. He had e-mailed FEMA officials and noted also that local officials were asking for toilet paper, a sign that supplies were lacking at the shelter. He was stunned when evacuees continued to arrive by the thousands, despite his frantic e-mails to forestall this.

Later on, Bahamonde sent and urgent e-mail to Brown, telling him that thousands were gathering in the streets (outside the Super Dome) and that "estimates are many will die within hours...Sir, I know that you know the situation is past critical."

Less than three hours later, Brown's secretary wrote an email to manay FEMA operatives, including Bahamonde, saying "Also, it is very important that time is allowed for Mr. Brown to eat dinner. Gievn (sic) that Baton Rouge is back to normal, restaurants are getting busy. He needs much more that (sic) 20 or 30 minutes. We now have traffic to encounter to get to and from a location of his choise (sic), followed by wait service from the restaurant staff, eating, etc.

Less than an hour later, an incredulous Bahamonde to Public Affairs: "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! No won't go any further, too easy of a target. Just tell her that I just ate an MRE and crapped in the hallway of the Superdome along with 30,000 other close friends so I understand her concern about busy restaurants. Maybe tonight I will have time to move my pebbles on the parking garage floor so they don't stab me in the back while I try to sleep."

What a GREAT RANT! (wish I had written that email...brilliant!). But more importantly, if this Bahamonde was FEMA's only man on the ground in New Orleans, and sending such a flurry of e-mails (not all of which have been included here), how is it possible that Brown could not have known about them? Well, the only way is if Brown had a broken organization beneath him, which falls under his responsibility anyway...rendering him a basic DUMBASS regardless of which holds true. ;-)

Add to this mess that Mr. Brown was ill-qualified for the job in the first place. No, it wasn't like JFK appointing his own brother (RFK) to be Attorney General, but a bad choice nonetheless -- so in addition he was a REAL DUMBASS to accept the job in the first place.

11 Comments:

Blogger Timmer of Righting America said...

Hmmmm...I am not 100% with you on this one, my friend. I think the jury might still be out on this guy. Remember, FEMA is NOT a first responder.

Gotta say though - that was a GREAT rant by the FEMA guy in the Super-Dome!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one Chazz, and Timmer you are incorrect! Suddenly, folks close to this dumbass in FEMA are selling him out because he really WAS terrible at his job. Bush's mistake was hiring him.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Timmer of Righting America said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Timmer of Righting America said...

Thanks Chris - you make some good points and are NOT a dumbass ;-)

We can't agree on everything, and as I pointed out these other two (Nagin and Blanco) are dumbasses two...but you neglected to acknowledge that BLANCO made a MUCH HIGHER DISTINCTION - she was the DUMBASS Of The MONTH!!!! (look to the right column).

Mostly, I chose Brown because he was incompetent and lied his ass off when he said that he had "several FEMA personnel in New Orleans"...and I bought his story and even defended him (in my daily office scream-fests - errr, debates ;-)). FUCKER! I HAD HIS BACK!!!

Anyhow, Nagin deserved it too - but I wouldn't want anyone to think I am some sort of white RACIST...given that many of my recent articles have dealt with DUMBASSES who happen to be black.

Be cool Chris!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

Sorry Buddy. I can't get behind this one, either.

[1] FEMA is a big ass bureaucracy. I doubt even Louis Farrakhan could make sense of it.

[2] Louisiana officials were totally lax in preparation and reaction. Notice the organization in Alabama, Mississippi and Texas? Louisiana wasn't prepared, then they freaked and froze at the last minute. Then they attempted to pin blame on Big Mother Federal Government.

[3] And of course Mike Brown needs more than 20 or 30 minutes to eat his dinner. Who doesn't?

I think we can all agree that eight weeks ago FEMA was focused on terrorist attacks on the United States, not on natural disasters.

Not anymore. Let's hope they can do both if necessary.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Timmer of Righting America said...

Thanks Chris!

Kent -

We won't always agree, but as a parting point let me put this another way.

PREZ BUSH, for whom I have lots of respect (despite some big disagreements - esp the border sich!), looked BAD over this to the common moron (read: VOTER) largely because of his appointed head of FEMA -- not to mention the media's usual one-sided B.S. and dick-headed racists like Sharpton/Farrakhan jumping on him, blah blah...

Brown was a weak link and, in so being, hurt Bush. That, and his lies, pissed me off. And let's face it - you don't resign unless you fucked up.

Finally, it goes without saying that I am of mostly Republican/Conservative leanings (Duh...I have a brain and some cajones ;-)) But this site is not meant to be exclusively about politics. ANYONE is FAIR GAME!!!

This is about who I think are D-U-M-B-A-S-S-E-S, wherever they are lurking. Lately, it has been LIBERALS PISSING ME OFF, but it ain't always like that.

Pat Robertson (and the rest of those sons-of-bitches in televangelism) will make his way onto this site one of these days -trust me!!!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would give the dumbass award to Spike Lee next. He, with Farrakhan are two of the most biggoted idiots on the planet.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Timmer of Righting America said...

Yeah, he IS being a DUMBASS lately...and I thought he had chilled out and was enjoying his bling...

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chazz I nominate you for next week.

You're a dumbass because you do nothing productive but have the gaul to call other people dumb asses, people who've actually done something with their lives.

Or a politician, they're all dumbasses.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah just delete the comments you disagree with.

Afraid of a little dissent?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Timmer of Righting America said...

Another "Anonymous" with twisted panties...imagine that. Okay - I hereby nominate you "INCOGNITO DUMBASS!"

((gosh, I'm running out of names for you morons!))

Okay, I will play your silly little game...in ref to my blog and what I do here, I will delete, or keep, and write whatever the hell I want...want to know why? Cuz it's MY BLOG!!!

Thanks for stopping by, "ID." Now get back to the welfare office and finish that paperwork!!! You wouldn't want to miss tonight's "Jerry Springer"!!!

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home